Number of Electors: 19,602 (October 2023) Source: Western Australian Electoral Commission.
Current Suburbs include:
About Central Ward
The suburb was named after Herbert Hocking, a local landowner, first chairman of the Wanneroo Road Board and member of the Board from 1903 to 1931. He was also treasurer of the Agricultural Society in 1909.
Pearsall is a suburb in the City of Wanneroo. Until the late 1990s it was the southernmost part of the suburb of Wanneroo.
Gnangara contained the Aboriginal Community College founded in 1979 and closed in 2008. It was one of two independent Indigenous schools in the metropolitan area. Gnangara is also the name for an underground water mound called Lake Gnangara.
Named after the Sinagra family, migrants from Italy who arrived in the Wanneroo area in the 1920s. The City of Wanneroo established a sister city relationship with Sinagra, Sicily as a large number of families migrated from there to make a new home in Wanneroo. Sam Sinagra owned a shop in Wanneroo, and the family were prominent citizens. The suburb name was approved on 3 April 1995.
Pre-1834 Whadjuk and Yued people, two Nyoongar language groups, moved around Wanneroo's coastal sandplain according to the six Noongar seasons.
European settlement dates from 1838 when the first land grants were made. Land was used mainly for cattle grazing, market gardening and poultry farming. Population was minimal until the late 1800s and early 1900s, with the township of Wanneroo established in the 1880s.